Thursday, March 7, 2013

What's in the Egg?

During dinosaur week with my 4's, I always show up with a bag full of what looks like rocks. I tell the kids that I found them on my front porch and thought they were cool. First I pass them around so they can feel them, and then I shake one by my ear and tell them I think there might be something inside. They get so excited when we break the eggs open and find little dinosaurs! We speculate who might have put them on my front porch, and then they each get a dinosaur to take home. It's a cute little activity they really seem to enjoy!


 
Recipe:
1 c flour
1 c used coffee grounds (dried out)
1/2 c salt
1/4 c sand
3/4 c water (or enough until ingredients can be easily molded)
 
Mix all dry ingredients, and add water until the "eggs" can be molded into balls. Place a dinosaur inside each ball and cover completely with the mixture. You can air dry these eggs for several days until they harden, or you can bake them at 150 for about 20 minutes until they are dry and hard. I find it works better if you flip the eggs half way through baking so both sides get hard. This is messy but worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment